Gravity Sort Of Sucks

If there was a byline it'd say: "Elizabeth was dancing. But the she stopped to ponder, gravity sort of sucks."

Gravity- it keeps us down. Yeah jaha but I'm starting to think not.

Why do we roll our shoulders with our arms down by our sides, but rarely we lift our arms and do it the other way- "up"?

One theory:
Maybe we're just used to it: gravity, arms down, work to lift

Foreign, difficult, different? ______, (because what's opposite/other than/next to gravity?), arms up, ______ (what's the opposite of work?)

Same theory, different chart:
gravity,
+arms down,
+work to lift

Foreign, difficult, different:
______, (because what's opposite/other than/next to gravity?)
+arms up
(?)______ (what's the opposite of work?)

And note:
There are definitely other variations on how we use our arms: baseball players, dancers, the list goes, even if you drive, you're using your arms some other way than down, cool, but what about up?

I think there's also a thought about the relativity of up. Obviously if I can say, it's up there, there is a such concept as "up"- but it can be relative- my up isn't always yours because the Earth's a sphere, also because if we're on the phone and you say "Look up", you don't really know what my up is, although sometimes it's nice to consider that being able to actually see what you see. (Also, I considered the Flat Earth theory for a while and it didn't work.)

But here's what I like thinking about: I think "up", the way we think of up- is also relative- to our own body. So not just relative me-to-you, but also me-body.

Think about how you're always standing, or if you don't stand maybe for the most part you're upright? But when you're laying in bed- or if right now you were in bed and someone wanted to know where something was, would it be difficult or different to explain to them directions? Something about the experience would change. I think, that because our bodies are references (how we decide where something is in a room, how we decide what to do by 'I am feeling', or the concept of 'my right/your left' and all the vice versa)- all of it is me-centric.

Which of course MAKES SENSE- this human self was definitely just offended, but it makes sense that I would use myself as point of reference in conversation.

But do we know we're doing it?

When I think to myself, "I shouldn't have done that," or I think of someone else, "There's no reason why she couldn't finish the project," how am I generating that truth? (A current truth- I would come to learn this is called) But isn't there a reason? In this way, there is a 'me' person, a condition, and 'another'. Me, the project, her. The project is undone, I say there is no reason for that, aaaand what happens to our lady? She gets cancelled out.

But do I know what's going on her side?

But did I think about it?

I've learned that it's hard to not be me-centric. About anything, arms or people or anything.

I don't really know why we don't put our arms up, but it feels weird to me now. I learned today that arms up signify surrender, and that's definitely part of why I'm thinking about it- it's tough to get caught with your hands up, but because I just thought about worship, when I lift my hands to pray, something changed. I thought, well interesting that lifting hands seems to defies gravity.

Okay, so back to we don't put our arms up as much as they are down but maybe the ratios are closer you're a rock climber or weightlift, etc., and there's always a gradient (since the range of motion of arms is actually huge), but when we don't stretch up, or dance with our hands lifted, does that happen because of ignorance (we don't know or think about putting our arms up), me-centricity (well, it's not bad, right? No one said it was bad.), shame (someone told me it was bad), or nature, (gravity- not the bad guy here, but still annoying), or maybe they're all combined somehow, or all maybe part of the same thing?

I don't know, but I've always wished I raised my hand more, and stood up straighter, but also that I could bow if I needed to or just that I want to be strong- I don't want to not put my hands up. So I'm thinking about it.

Does gravity really keep us down?

Are there times other than lifting our arms that work in defiance of the nature we know as gravity? And if up is relative, why don't we spend more time upside-down? (Sometimes I think just even for the change in perspective it would be nice.)

Are there times when you don't know something but you submit truth about it anyhow to find that it was a current truth (dare I say, that went past)? What does knowing our connection to ourselves as point of reference add to the conversation of truth?

And what about songs like these?
Gravity, words by John Mayer,
As sung by Clark Beckham and Yebba Smith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Z_ftojuO4

"Gravity, it's working against me,
...Keep me where the light is."

Or
Gravity, by Sara Bareilles
https://g.co/kgs/n47sNA

"Something always brings me back to you,
it never takes too long." [Emphasis: In your own mind, is this always true? How then, can current truth, change?]

I want to hear your thoughts!
Let's talk. Merry thinking,

Comments